Wednesday, May 18, 2011

screen doors, planters, and strong willed women

Had wanted to post a few more shots of the patio and planters I've been working on: Upper left is a World War II ammunition box planted with a red geranium, white alyssum, and blue lobelia. Add a flag, and it's perfect for all the summer patriotic holidays - Memorial Day, Flag Day, 4th of July, and finally, Labor Day.

And I love the look of the weathered chair and bucket next to that red geranium. Really makes it pop.

Since I last posted a few days ago, I have become a carpenter. Remember that ugly storm door going out to the patio - the one with the plywood inserts where screens or windows should have been.
I found a screen in a frame at the habitat for humanity store and thought...why not trace it, jigsaw on the lines I draw, pop out the cut part and voila!...insert the screen. Simple, right? Not when you've never used a jig saw before, and not when you don't take the door down first. But, anyway, with the help of spackle and paint, here's what I ended up with. I am so happy with it. (don't look too closely). I had two men say it wouldn't work, handyman Morris and husband John. They don't know how determined we women can be. Where there's a will, there's a way. I think my sister, Janie, said that on the phone this A.M.


1 comment:

We love hearing from you!