Thursday, November 29, 2012

Catching up and looking back

 When I charge my phone, it syncs with my computer uploading all the photos to it. (The phone is another hand me up from the kids, this time DJ) I needed an iphone to be able to take credit cards at Polly's Vintage Market and was offered one of son DJ's, after he upgraded to the latest version.  As I was charging it, I came across photos I had shared with my Rhode Island sister.  Was telling her about having my mending club for a tortellini-making session the week before Thanksgiving. 

The mending club is a group of girls brought together by Sandy B. of The Pink Cupboard, located in what is now The Prairie Street Brew House. After the store closed, Sandy found a way to keep us together.  We don't mend, except for hearts and lives and friendships.  We do outings, projects, and meals at each others' homes. 
 







Making tortellini called for an Italian theme - red and white tablecloths, wine, antipasto tray, etc. 

Was looking at the photos and seeing a few items purchased at antique stores, like the wine rack above.  Got that from Polly of Counting Your Blessings Fame.

Photo below shows one end of our mantle on which I had arranged old books, tarnished silver, pewter, and a photo of my mother and father in the early days of their marriage.  It was a gratitude theme for Thanksgiving, and I am certainly grateful for their love and guidance and the many lessons they taught.


You also catch a glimpse of an aqua "scrolly" mirror frame, again a purchase from Polly.

I love items with a history and which bring back fond memories.  I hear so many people who come in to Just A Second reminiscing about their mom or grandmother as they see something they remember from their homes. 

Lest I get sad getting too wrapped up in the past,  thinking of items with a history, I remind myself that those items are also just right for so many of today's styles of decorating.  

In analyzing little shops, I become aware of how they reflect the personalities and styles of their owners; so the more shops, the more chances of finding just the right item to fill your heart with joy and your home with memories.  Happy shopping.  Looking forward to your visit.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, Renie, you are so right. My family makes fun of me all the time because I can recount a story for almost every special piece in my own house. It is what makes living in my "stuff" interesting to me. I can look around and be entertained by it all. Thanks for a great year.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!