Monday, August 11, 2014

A New Chapter Begins

We woke up this past week to a different sky - very apparent from the vantage point of our "sleeping porch" room. Our bedroom has eight windows in it, and this summer, with its cool nights and no need for the air conditioning, has been wonderful, like sleeping under the stars, in the fresh air minus the bugs.

I wake up without an alarm between 5:30 and 6:00 AM, and every morning this past week, I have thought it was going to be a rainy day, in spite of the forecasts to the contrary. 

Yes, the days are getting shorter, and the 7:00 walking time will be more difficult, just because of the later sunrise.

Soon it will be time to "cozy" up our room, but not yet. It is August, after all, and still summer.



The view from my desk/nightstand
Here is the other side of the room and a bit of the 
wicker settee where I sit when, John, (Carson to all 
you Downton Abbey fans) sometimes brings me my
morning coffee.
Here is the view from where I sit, down to the back yard where summer 
is in full bloom.  Can you tell the photo is taken through the screen?

And this August, August 15 to be exact, there will be more changes than just the shortening of the daylight hours. That date is the kick-off for the relocating and downsizing of Just A Second from our shop on North Main Street to a booth at the East State Antique Mall. The booth is the size of just one room at the shop, so our having to relocate is to your advantage. 

Saturday, August 16, we will be having a relocation sale in our parking lot where many items will be priced as you would expect at a yard sale. Other items in the store will be greatly reduced to facilitate vacating by October - all part of the state's plan to widen North Main Street (Highway 2), and to add a recreation path to the west side of the highway.

As you can imagine, it is a mixed bag of feelings I share.

Change is scary but also exciting. I am excited to be in a new and different location and to have a different space to make my own, but I will miss the shop and the one-to-one interaction with all the friends I have made during the five years the shop has been open.

I love that I can keep my "hand in the game" of antiquing and decorating, and do it all - the picking, and the staging, and the personalizing on a much smaller scale.

I am looking forward to having more free time to visit our children and their families scattered across this vast country. 

I also love that, once again, I will spend more time at home to take care of the long overdue, refreshing and repainting of our house.

So, please spread the word, my friends, by sharing this post through your social networks.
I am looking forward to your visit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!